Createsque

Find me:

Valentines Day Essay



By   Katherine Wilson      8:56 AM      Labels: , , , , , , ,  


This morning as T.W. was driving me to work, he commented: "So I don't even really know where Valentines Day came from." I, the terrible history major stumbled through some random (erroneous) facts. I even think I said "Oh, maybe he was the guy who married people in secret and delivered notes for lovers?" No, that would be friar Tuck from Robin Hood... not St. Valentine. So As I am sitting here in the mall waiting for 9:30 to come so I can go to work, I thought I would give a few facts for you guys!


  • St. Valentine is one of 14 martyred saints in ancient Rome.
  • The particular one celebrated with a feast day on February 14th has a lot of mystery surrounding his ministry and only the fact of his dynig on February 14th and his birthday are known.
  • The catholic church took this feast day out of their liturgical calendar back in 1969. 
  • No one really knows where he worked. he could have been a priest in Rome, a bishop in Tarni, or a martyr in a Roman/African province.
  • Now it turns out I was a little correct in the facts of a legend that some people like to hold to that I will copy herelore has been embroidered in modern times to portray Valentine as a priest who refused an unattested law attributed to Roman Emperor Claudius II, allegedly ordering that young men remain single. The Emperor supposedly did this to grow his army, believing that married men did not make for good soldiers. The priest Valentine, however, secretly performed marriage ceremonies for young men. When Claudius found out about this, he had Valentine arrested and thrown in jail. {somewhat reliable source}
Now. How in the world did we get from a Catholic feast day commemorating a martyr to Candy hearts and lingerie sales at Victoria's secret? You can thank Chaucer for it, and courtly love. Lots of mushy gushy poems, letters, flowers and sweet exchanging!

I admit, I have been one of those Valentines day haters in the past. I don't love the color pink, I still think there is way too much of it around when this holiday comes around, and I do not approve of it being the one day a year some people express their feelings with an evening out and some sweet card (just to change things up a bit.) In light of the day's namesake I think it should be a day where we remember an aspect of love: Sacrifice. 

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
(1 Corinthians 13:7 ESV)

Love is not gullible, please do not misinterpret this. It believes in all Truth that comes from the Lord. It bears all of those rough patches in your relationship that cause you to wonder why you are dating them, or why you married them! It hopes in the promises God has given to all of His children, and in the fact that yes, you will have wonderful moments in your love life and can have them even if you have not experienced them yet. Love endures the pain your loved one causes you in hasty words, dismissal, or even when they cheat on you. It does not mean that you should put up with repeated offenses by any means, but be patient, kind, and humble as you approach your other half, family member, friend, or even an acquaintance at work.

As Christians we are called to love all
And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
(Mark 12:30-31 ESV)

So while you sit watching chick flicks eating a half gallon of your icecream of choice, please remember you are loved by God. You are accepted by him, and there are those who have gone before us as martyrs for the love they had for God and the Truth that His salvation through Jesus, the greatest hope we have on earth. As you sit across from your Beau or hubby this evening at dinner or snuggling on the couch remember the sacrifice that is synonymous with love. I know I need to remember it as T.W. and I are going through our seminary years and I have to sit at work hours before and hours after I can clock in and out. I have to remember it as I sit at home all day while he is at work and I am off without a car I can drive to go or do as I please. I have to remember it every time I walk across the apartment complex to do laundry because we live in the tiniest apartment there is in town (it seems). 

So happy Valentines Day everyone! I hope you have a lovely day! 

(I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons by Sam Cooke on Grooveshark

About Katherine Wilson

Katherine is your typical white female who likes pumpkin spice lattes, anything fall scented, and the color 'mint'. But She also is the wife of a seminary student and a woman who strives to live a creative life for the glory of her maker. Now ain't that somethin' different?

No comments :

Post a Comment

In this fast world we live in I know it sometimes takes a lot to stop and comment. Thank you for taking the time to leave a note! It truly makes my day!


Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Follow by Email

Translate

Bloglovin' Friends!

Follow on Bloglovin