Createsque

Find me:

Tenderfoot Test



By   Katherine Wilson      9:49 PM      Labels: , , ,  


You can follow along with me in the Google eBooks Scouting for Girls 1922 edition. I am pretty sure edition is not under copy right seeing as it is online, so feel free to quote away! I will reference pages in my hard copy from time to time, but there is no guarantee the pages will be the same between two editions.

Now, onto the fun!

To begin earning badges a Girl Scout of the 1920s had to pass the Tender foot test first. This is easy as pie for us bloggers as I am sure most of us are over the age of 18. Just remember, this was a way for girls of the age of ten to find out what scouting was all about and a way to prove their interest in joining! Onward we go!

We're going to pass the tenderfoot test in 5 minutes!




1. What are the Scout Promise and the Scout Laws? Give them as printed in the handbook.
On My Honor, I will try
To do my duty to God and my country
To help other people at all times
To obey the Scout laws.

LAWS:
1. A Girl Scout's honor is to be trusted.
2. A Girl Scout is loyal.
3. A Girl Scout's duty is to be Useful and Helpful to others.
4. A Girl Scout is a friend to all and a sister to every other Girl Scout.
5. A Girl Scout is courteous.
6.A Girl Scout is a friend to animals.
7. A Girl Scout obeys orders.
8. A Girl Scout is cheerful.
9. A Girl Scout is thrifty.
10. A Girl Scout is clean in Thought, Word and Deed.
{pages 4-12}
(great way to look at this in a Biblical perspective for us older gals: Proverbs 31)


2. Demonstrate the Girl Scout Salute. When do Scouts use the Salute?
{I do have a little finger, it's just really small apparently...} 


3. What are the Scout Slogan and the Scout motto?

Slogan: "Do A Good Turn Daily."
Motto: "Be Prepared"

4. How is the respect due to the American Flag expressed? Give the pledge of allegiance. (see above, and you should know the pledge!)

5. What are the words of the first and last stanza of the Star-Spangled banner?

Oh say can you see by the dawn's early light...
Lots o' patriotic stuff in between that we as Americans should know
...o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

6. What is the full name of the President of the United States? What is the name of the Governor of your state? What is the full name of the highest city, town or village official where you live?

President: Barack Hussein Obama II
Governor: Beverly Eaves 'Bev" Perdue
City official: Anthony Foxx
What a bunch...

HANDS:

7. Make or draw an American Flag, using correct proportions.


{from page 78, 1920}

8. Tie the Reef, Bowline, Clove-hitch, and Sheep-shank knots according to the instructions given in Handbook and tell the use of each. (or according to youtube for better ease)

I'll let you do your own research when it comes to this. I know you would probably die of boredom if I put up links and diagrams for all of these in detail.

HELPFULNESS:

9. Present record that your have saved or earned enough money to buy some part of the Scout uniform or insignia.
 
I plan on ordering a few of these in the near future for my collection! I can't wait!

Next time I will have the beginnings of the first badge to earn. And hopefully some sort of series banner graphic to use and make these posts nicer looking. Always a plus hmm?

About Katherine Wilson

Katherine is your typical white female who likes pumpkin spice lattes, anything fall scented, and the color 'mint'. But She also is the wife of a seminary student and a woman who strives to live a creative life for the glory of her maker. Now ain't that somethin' different?

1 comment :

  1. How interesting! i look forward to more posts with lots of pictures, please!

    ReplyDelete

In this fast world we live in I know it sometimes takes a lot to stop and comment. Thank you for taking the time to leave a note! It truly makes my day!


Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Follow by Email

Translate

Bloglovin' Friends!

Follow on Bloglovin