Createsque

Find me:

A Change is Gunna Come



By   Katherine Wilson      3:18 PM      Labels: , , , , , , , , ,  
Goodbye purse purveying...



Hello ad marketing assistant!

Your guess, (as I am sure you are all smart astute people) was right! I have a new job. The past 8.5 months working in a retail store have been interesting. I have been rather sheltered in small communities of insulated interaction, never really coming face to face with 'the real world'. Or truthfully, as Christians the World, in all its aspects is fallen, and I had never really experienced the extent of it's sin and the people who live in it. Every job I had before were in institutions where my boss was either a family member, or a friend of a family member, or at the very least, a Christian. In August I started working in a big box retail store, and I came face to face with the trappings of this world. I experienced rampant consumerism, selfish people who can't take the answer 'no'. Dishonesty, rudeness, ignorance, you name it. I have been ignored, yelled at, threatened (though not to my face) and after wishing an upset customer a good night, I was met with the response: "I hope you don't!" {Please understand, all of these things have come from customers, no coworkers or bosses.} Needless to say I began actively looking for another place of employment mainly because of the schedule being so random and different every week. And again, it's the nature of the beast. You work in retail, you work weekends and some evenings until 9, 10, or even 11 and 12 around the holiday season. 

I can't remember exactly when, but earlier this spring I received an e-mail forward sent to all the women in the seminary community where T.W. takes classes. It was from a man urgently looking for a new assistant. I jumped on it, sent my resume, and a couple of weeks later met with my now future boss at a coffee shop for my first interview. A while later, some more interviews, some hard praying and some fear of rejection along with frustration of still being in retail, I received an e-mail. It came while I was in the process of applying for some more jobs. T.W. as a well-intentioned husband had began suggesting and pushing me to apply elsewhere as it didn't look like I would hear back about the job. I had reluctantly sent some resumes out to some craigslist advertisements for assistants, secretaries and even a nanny position. I was in tears one night so frustrated at the fact that it didn't seem I could win. Self pity, anger and resentment are tools of the Deceiver my friends. And I gave in to it. But just as my trust in the Lord failed, I was shown His provision. I got an e-mail asking when I could talk over the phone with the man I interviewed. I finally spoke to him a day later and was offered the job. As soon as I hung up I thanked God aloud. (in the lobby of my workplace! I'm pretty sure I was given a couple of strange glances) A wave of relief flowed over me, and I immediately called T.W. to tell him. 

I have to say, I have learned a lot in this whole process. I have found out that if a constant relationship with the Lord is not present, the wight of this world can change me. And not just change me, but embitter me. I was constantly saying "I hate my job", "I can't stand people!", and other equally frustrated comments about the experiences I had with people. I look forward to this new job because my human interaction will be over the phone, and for some reason I can handle exasperating people better over the phone. For instance, I was the only one a particularly annoying customer would talk to because I was the only one with the patience (or naivety) to talk to her. This new job will challenge my computer skills, and I am super excited because once again I will have a Believer for a boss. It makes all the difference in the world! My schedule will be 'normal', and I will have every Sunday off from now until the Lord decides I have to go back to some kind of retail job. (which I sincerely hope never happens) 

So, look forward to some more frequent posting, tutorials and freebies! I hope to become more like myself and shed this frustrated attitude toward humanity! A lot of changes are coming and I am super excited. 


About Katherine Wilson

Katherine is your typical white female who likes pumpkin spice lattes, anything fall scented, and the color 'mint'. But She also is the wife of a seminary student and a woman who strives to live a creative life for the glory of her maker. Now ain't that somethin' different?

6 comments :

  1. Oh it's a fight to see people, through the eyes of our Lord, but as soon as we see them the way HE DOES we tend to lose all judgement and bitterness etc...I have to do this minute by minute or my heart is a mess. I love that you are so so self aware, I am that way too, and with that comes HUGE change and growth! You are so faithful it seems!

    God so loves everyone exactly the same, and His heart bleeds for all of us!

    Congrats on the new job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to think I am faithful, but often times I don't feel like I am! Thanks for the congrats! I'm super excited. :)

      Delete
  2. Woo-hoo for stability! That whole 9 to 5 thing makes a world of difference! Must be the season for handing out jobs, my man is in the second stage process and is front runner of a job he is loving already without being hired yet haha. It's always the ones (job applications) that you put to the wayside that end up being the 'one'!

    Congrats ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh let me know when he finds out about the job! And then give me his phone number so I can pester him about a certain kind of rock he needs to be buying for you. ;) Haha

      Delete
  3. Yes, yes, I second all the frustration that comes with job hunting. I was so thinking I would have to settle for an night shift position in a hospital again because nobody else want to work that, and fearing I wouldn't get anything else...but then God just plain as day told me, if I wanted to I could apply to those non-ideal jobs, that was my choice, or if I chose to trust him and not cave in to fear and desperation...he would open something else better up... Hello, normal 9-5 job, working as a graphic designer! wohooo. I can't even really believe it. We can allow God to show forth His supreme goodness :)) when we stop settling :))

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on YOUR new job! Would that mine were taking me down to Florida! I was not looking forward to settling, and still couldn't get my mind off of this new job. I suppose it was some kind of indication that I shouldn't have given up on it!

      Delete

In this fast world we live in I know it sometimes takes a lot to stop and comment. Thank you for taking the time to leave a note! It truly makes my day!


Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Follow by Email

Translate

Bloglovin' Friends!

Follow on Bloglovin