I think I have known for a long time now that frugality requires creativity. It hasn't been until recently that I have had to put it into practice! We live in a pretty tiny space, and I am constantly wishing for more room and more money to put towards making the place look less like we got everything from goodwill and our parents. (which is exactly the way we have obtained everything). Good thing we have the internet! I've started finding some neat ideas for changing the look of our abode with simple, functional, CHEAP things.
1) Thrift some wooden crates
2) Find some neat wall art in yard sales and goodwill
3) Cheap IKEA side table w/ lamp
4) homemade pillows
5) Shelf for collections and pictures.
6) Pot storage on wall of kitchen to save cupboard space
7) Random jars and wooden trays to keep spices and utensils organized
8) Cover ugly furniture with patterned fabric. (old bedsheets, throws, duvet covers)
9) Use stools as sidetables.
10) Family collection or accumulated plates from thrift stores and anthro- sales. Find plate hangers at craft stores and goodwill.