Createsque

Find me:

Blue Wardrobe



By   Katherine Wilson      5:41 PM      Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,  
I promised I would put up pictures of our new reclaimed/up-cycled wardrobe, but kept putting it off because I am a lazy person. You may comment with shaming words if you like. I need it.
But here she is in all her blue glory!


One day while running with our departed doggie, I came across a dilapidated wardrobe on the side of the road. It was laying on its side next to a super old chest of drawers that looked like they were crafted in the 1930's. I ran home and begged and pleaded with T.W. to come help me shift the stuff and see if it was any good. I had to convince him we would not be judged for trash-picking on the side of the road. Hard work... but I succeeded.



Once we got the stuff shifted I immediately wanted the wardrobe because of the top-piece. It's just so NEAT! You don't find furniture with this kind of ornamentation any more. The inlay work isn't real... just laminated on with a really thin wood of some sort. But we painted over it and hope that it will last a while. Even if it chips off we can maybe paint it in with an accent color some day. Who says you can't upcycle an already upcycled piece?


The process was super simple. We bought some wood primer spray (Zinsser primer) and used about three cans on it with a little left over. Since we were covering the whole piece and not distressing it, I wanted to make sure the base coat was as solid as we could get it. Then we matched a paint color from walmart, taken to Home depot. I never added all the receipts together to figure out the cost total, but I think we came out spending around $45-50. Considering the piece itself was FREE, I'm going to call it a win. The cute little knob came from World Market. I really wanted one from anthropologie, but this one is just as cute, and probably cheaper. 



The inspiration came from this photo on Houzz:


We have those cream chairs and cream walls in the living room, and a cream textured rug, so I thought that blue pop of color could work. The inspiration photo looks more like a hydrangea color, while ours leans toward the cobalt spectrum, but I like how it turned out. I still have 3/4 of a gallon left over... I may have to find some Christmas gift projects to use it on! 



About Katherine Wilson

Katherine is your typical white female who likes pumpkin spice lattes, anything fall scented, and the color 'mint'. But She also is the wife of a seminary student and a woman who strives to live a creative life for the glory of her maker. Now ain't that somethin' different?

1 comment :

In this fast world we live in I know it sometimes takes a lot to stop and comment. Thank you for taking the time to leave a note! It truly makes my day!


Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Follow by Email

Translate

Bloglovin' Friends!

Follow on Bloglovin