Createsque

Find me:

How to Set Aside Time for Devotions (2)



By   Katherine Wilson      10:00 AM       

Now that we know the Biblical reasons for spending time in the Word, let's think about why we personally would want to sit down and read a really old book  that isn't a self-help book or a secondary source (like a commentary - eek!- or something like Mere Christianity).





Take a notebook or paper and write down three reasons you personally want to spend time in God's word. Take as long as you need to think these out. They are your thoughts. Be honest with yourself. Here are mine:

{1}   To plough up and re-sow my life so I can have seeds of faith, virtue, self control, brotherly love, and steadfastness planted and so I can nurture them to a bountiful, fruitful harvest.
{2}   To have a soft (not callous) heart to guard myself from the ways and temptations of the world. Continually root out the old self.
{3}   To prepare myself for ministry to others, and especially to my future children. So we can speak truth into their life every day. Constantly outpouring love from the Father only known and experienced after spending time with Him

We cannot be satisfied without Christ. You have a gaping hole in your life. Did you realize that? Nothing in this world can fill it. We can go to church, we can have godly friends, and read books that talk about Christ and how to live Christian lives, but we will still be empty without HIM.


Hebrews 12:1-2
            Let us lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

Jesus is not just the way we are saved, but also the one who we look to, to imitate and seek refuge in when people and the world fail us! How can we NOT spend time in a relationship with Him when we know this? But we don't. I don't. I let other things seep into my free time. Outward appearances are so much more important to me than my inner beauty. But that inner beauty means more to God than you or I can fathom. He sent his Son to die for us when we were still sinning! Before we were even born. He loved us that much to sacrifice His Son for us so we can be with him. Christ rose again, and is still helping us!

Now, remember. We are not trying to check this off our to-do list. And when we do, it isn't something that should cause another issue. Self-righteousness. Ooh look at me! I did my devotion! Let me take a selfie with my Bible and a cup of coffee! Dears, this is the hardest part. Time spent in the Word should (eventually) happen as naturally as taking a shower every morning, or eating dinner. Of course you have to be clean, of course you have to feed your body! Of course we should be in the word consistently. It is vital to our spiritual lives. Don't guilt yourself into it! It doesn't motivate me to get on a treadmill, so it definitely won't motivate you to have a quiet time!  Pray that God will help you be faithful. He will help you. Believe his promises!

So, to wrap it up, 

Baby steps. Identify where you have free time where to insert prayer and reading the Bible. Get a notebook. Keep track of what you read, go through a book of the Bible, or do a reading plan. Memorize. Find resources. Be quiet.
Be with God.


Resources:

About Katherine Wilson

Katherine is your typical white female who likes pumpkin spice lattes, anything fall scented, and the color 'mint'. But She also is the wife of a seminary student and a woman who strives to live a creative life for the glory of her maker. Now ain't that somethin' different?

No comments :

Post a Comment

In this fast world we live in I know it sometimes takes a lot to stop and comment. Thank you for taking the time to leave a note! It truly makes my day!


Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Follow by Email

Translate

Bloglovin' Friends!

Follow on Bloglovin